If there is one animal that should be on the "extinction list" it is, the gentleman. I've lived in NYC for 5 years now and have been been a girlfriend, a friend with benefits, a lover and a one night stand. I can tell you that it makes no difference - the one night stand can treat you better than the boyfriend. The point is that the Gentleman is on the verge of extinction and we need to do something fast or we could have a serious societal crisis on our hands with women raising kids from freeze-dried sperm. (kind of joking)
Don't get me wrong I am not a feminist and I LOVE men. This is precisely the reason for why I am writing this piece in the first place. Below is a "Gentleman's Guide" that may help you determine where you stand - are you Cary Grant or Jeff Spicoli?
1. You always open a door for a woman.
2. You are willing to splurge on an entire meal not just cocktails. Being cheap is never gentleman-like behavior!
3. At dinner, you pay attention to what she would like to order and then you order for the both of you.
4. Sex is not payment for the meal you splurged on that is now causing you to eat cheese sandwiches for a month.
5. The date should end with a kiss and you hailing a cab for her, first.
6. Believe it or not, women are like men, we don't like you to be too eager so waiting a day to call is fine but if you enjoyed her company then say so.
7. Compliments are like diamonds - rare and and even the smallest sparkle because they are genuine.
8. Show you have style but don't overdress. First dates are not the time to peacock. A gentleman is all about subtlety.
9. Conversation is an art. A gentleman will engage his date, asking questions, caring about the answer and asking following up questions in return. Conversations are like a volley in a tennis match.
The most important thing to remember is that it's not just about you. Enjoy the adventure of getting to know someone new. Yes, women have become extremely independent but believe me we still need men and any woman that tells you differently is a lesbian.